The NZ US Council confirmed today that all delegates and staff attending the fourth US NZ Partnership Forum in Christchurch were safe, following yesterday’s tragic earthquake.
“Forum delegates are dismayed and distraught by the loss of life, the injuries and damage in a city that had welcomed them so warmly,” Executive Director Stephen Jacobi said today.
“Our deep condolences, thoughts and prayers are with the bereaved and with all the people of Christchurch.”
“Delegates were especially saddened by the extent of destruction at Christchurch Cathedral where they had been welcomed at a service for President’s Day just last Sunday evening and at the AMI Stadium which hosted the Forum along with other venues around the city.”
Mr Jacobi confirmed the NZ US Council believed all Forum delegates and staff were now accounted for.
Mr Jacobi said the Forum participants were fortunate enough to be able to congregate at the International Antarctic Centre and then to link in to early flights from Christchurch.